Understanding the Total Cost of Ownership
How to avoid future problems and buy bulk solids handling equipment intelligently
Wednesday 26 and Thursday 27 October 2022, 13:00 – 17:00 GMT – ONLINE
WHY THE NEED FOR THIS COURSE? All too often the operational requirements of the equipment to be supplied to bulk terminals is not properly understood by either the buyers or the sellers. Purchase decisions purely based on price or a lack of knowledge of the characteristics of the material to be handled – or frequently both – will fail to understand the true cost of a bulk solids handling system to a business in terms of down-time; energy; maintenance and manning.
The OBJECTIVE OF THE COURSE is to raise awareness amongst bulk terminal buyers of the need to behave in a better-informed way and equipment suppliers to understand the operational needs of the equipment they are supplying.
The course will be delivered through EXPERT PRESENTATIONS, CASE STUDIES and GROUP WORKING facilitated by The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology and the Solids Handling & Processing Association (SHAPA).
KEY TAKAWAYS: The course will give both terminal operators and equipment manu- facturers an insight into what should be on the one side be specified, and on the other side supplied.
- Nature of the problem
- The Hall of Shame – examples of projects that have gone off the rails to greater or lesser degree
- Quantifying how high the risk is – a review of the Rand Report findings
- Understanding why technical risk is so high with bulk solids handling projects
- Know your enemy – materials for design and for controlling technical risk
- Practical approach to design to accommodate material characteristics
- The virtue of the bespoke suit over prêt-à-porter
- A project management approach is not enough – understanding the true cost of a bulk solids handling system to a business
CASE STUDIES: Risk management in solids handling projects – examples of good practice in bulk handling project procurement and some projects that managed significant risks effectively
- DISCUSSION GROUPS – delegates break into groups under the supervision of the course tutors to discuss how well they currently apply best practice, what they can improve for the future and the difficulties to be overcome
Please click here for the 2021 programme and course tutors